Sunday, December 10, 2006

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence Finished

Some going notes:
  • I got the bad Jill ending. Something about not going back for Barry? I'll have to read the FAQs more carefully. Might be worth another quick play through sometime to see how it all shakes out.
  • The bad thing about the bad ending is that you don't get the final countdown and battle with Tyrant. Boo.
  • On the other hand, unlike the Castlevania endings, I at least get the hint here that I should have played differently.
  • I can appreciate the way the stylus was integrated into the game. Yet, much of that integration boils down to "glorified keypad entry". That's a shame.
  • There are obvious places where, had they really tried, the developers could have integrated the stylus in a more natural way. Take the mixing of chemicals for V-JOLT. Make a little drag-and-drop table with vials of chemicals and what have you. Or how about making the "master of unlocking" able to use a lockpick in some doors. Surely people get paid to think up interesting things like this.
  • Regardless, I loved the game. It was awfully enjoyable to see the Rebirth (remixed) version and I think this is precisely how you should revisit a classic. Add some (good) new stuff and file down some of the rough edges (like door transitions).
  • It would be interesting to know how someone who hasn't played Resident Evil ever views this game, after playing to completion. Regrettably, I can't be that person.
Great game. Thanks, Ruffin.

No comments: