Sunday, April 01, 2007

Theme Park DS

I always enjoyed Theme Park, whether it was the original DOS version, the Genesis version, or even the Atari Jaguar version. Now that it's on the Nintendo DS, I'm enjoying it all over again.

Main complaints:
  • I recall making time run really slowly in the original. Maybe I've got it confused with Roller Coaster Tycoon. Regardless, I'd've appreciated at least one slower game speed. As it is, I research and lay out the park and suddenly two years have gone by.
  • Sometimes the interface needlessly puts two things you can tap with the stylus too close together. For example, when trying to adjust the research budgets down, I end up having to tap the up arrow and cycle back through to the lower digits instead of being able to tap the down arrow. The down arrow doesn't respond because it's too close to the menu bar at the bottom.
  • Not updated enough with the stylus. I should be able to move back and forth in time to see stats by dragging the stylus on the readouts. I should be able to highlight an area and delete everything in that area instead of one square at a time. Etc.
Otherwise, very nice port. After I work my way up to full simulation mode, perhaps I'll have more to report.

No comments: